A Flat Tire: It happens more frequently than you may expect. Depending on the situation, the flat tire can range from being frustrating to seriously dangerous. If you are going at fast speeds, it can be particularly scary when you pop a tire. Yet, most people do not even have the basic knowledge on how to handle a flat tire situation.
At Green Towing San Diego, we are committed to our community’s roadside safety. While we will always recommend calling a professional when you are stuck with a flat tire, there are some basic safety procedures you should know. Whether you want to change the flat tire or simply need to know what the best practices are for dealing with flat tire, this guide will be very useful for you!
What to Do If You Experience a Flat Tire
If you get stuck with a flat tire in San Diego, please give us a call at (858) 457-8530. In the meanwhile, you should get properly prepared by doing the following:
- Turn the hazard lights on and ensure that the car that needs the flat tire repair is parked in the most level area possible and that the parking brake is on. It is also important to be right off the road to avoid the danger of being hit by a passing car.
- Do you have a spare tire? The spare tire can be found in the trunk along with the lug nut wrench and car jack.
Basics on How to Change a Flat Tire
The team at Green Towing San Diego put together this instructions guide on changing a flat tire. We of course recommend calling for professional and certified roadside assistance, but here are the basics we think you should know:
- Loosen the lug nuts that hold the wheel in place before you jack up the car. To loosen the nuts the wrench has to be turned counter clockwise.
- Take out your driver’s manual for your vehicle. When jacking up the car, refer to the to it in order to ensure that the jack is placed in the safest area possible. It is important to jack the car high enough as to leave enough space (an inch or two) for removing the flat tire and easy placement of the spare tire.
- Next, remove all of the lug nuts and place them somewhere easy to reach and easily found. The flat tire should now be taken off. Once the flat tire is removed, roll the tire to a safe area. Don’t try to pick it up as it may be heavier than you think.
- Carefully lift and fit the spare tire onto the wheel studs. Always remember that when placing a spare tire onto the wheel studs the air valve must be facing out.
- Replace the lug nuts and tighten them by hand. Then take the lug wrench and tighten them further, although not too tightly or else they will be impossible to loosen should another flat tire occur.
- Lastly place the hubcap back on and return the fix flat tire tools to the trunk.
Once you have successfully changed your flat tire, remember to replace the spare tire as soon as possible. You don’t want to get stuck in another situation like this without a spare tire.
Whether you have a spare tire or not, you can always count on Green Towing San Diego to help you! Certified tow truck drivers are available 24 hours a day, every day of the year so you can rest assured that if you blow a tire, you can get immediate and expert help! You will need to have a spare in order for our qualified tow truck operators to change your tire, but we can always tow you to a mechanic shop or anywhere else in case you don’t have a spare.
Be safe on the road and always be aware of your surroundings. Green Towing San Diego can provide expert flat tire changes, car battery jump starts, car lockout services, and a range of towing services. If you get caught with a flat tire, you can trust that Green Towing San Diego will be able to help you immediately!
Call Green Towing San Diego (858) 457-8530 and a tow truck technician can arrive in 15-30 minutes!